The Green Bay Press-Gazette has a long, distinguished history of service to the people of Green Bay and Northeastern Wisconsin. We are delighted to extend that service to Internet users the world over.
We trace our roots to the Green Bay Gazette, founded by Dwight Follett in 1866 as a weekly newspaper. The Gazette became a daily newspaper in 1871, and often was known as the State Gazette.
In 1914, the Green Bay Free Press was founded by local attorney Victor Minahan, and the Free Press and the Gazette became intense competitors. The resulting war for readers pushed both papers to near-collapse, so Minahan, editor John Kline and treasurer Andrew Turnbull created a syndicate that merged them.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette hit the streets for the first time on June 29, 1915, a Tuesday afternoon. The first Sunday morning edition was published in September 1961. A Saturday morning edition followed.
In March 1980, the Press-Gazette was purchased by Gannett Co., one of the nation’s largest media companies.
In November 1996, the Press-Gazette became a morning newspaper for readers outside the Green Bay metropolitan area, remaining an afternoon newspaper for readers in Green Bay and its suburbs.
In December 1997, the Press-Gazette went online, creating a site for its Green Bay Packers coverage on the World Wide Web.
Today, the Press-Gazette is at the heart of a healthy, diversified media company serving more than 200,000 readers, providing news coverage and advertising and marketing opportunities in one of Wisconsin’s fastest-growing areas.
But for all its rich local history and dedicated service, the Press-Gazette may best be known nationally as the place where the Packers were founded, and as one of the community leaders that helped keep the team afloat through the 1950s.
In 1919, Press-Gazette sports editor George Whitney Calhoun met with Curly Lambeau, who’d starred in football at East High School and Notre Dame, about organizing a professional football team.
Their meetings often took place in Calhoun’s office in the old Press-Gazette building on Cherry Street. The building no longer exists, but you can still trace the Packers’ point of origin to the site, now the parking lot for Associated Bank.
In 1923, with the team facing a financial crisis, Turnbull helped incorporate the Packers and became their first president. In 1949, with the Packers again in financial trouble, the Green Bay Newspaper Co. – the publishers of the Press-Gazette – bought $5,000 of Packers stock to help keep the team alive.